Today Ted speaks with Frank and Katie Friedlander of TuffSkin. First manufactured in 2007, TuffSkin’s innovative thin film technology has become known as the best marble protection product on the market.
The company’s roots began decades prior when Frank started a small business specializing in window film. The startup quickly grew as Frank received one opportunity after another to service a number of hotels and casinos.
At some point, the entrepreneurially-minded Frank discovered that there was a gap in the market for long-lasting marble protection technology. TuffSkin was born soon after, as a way for people to enjoy the luxuriously timeless look of marble while bringing practicality to that experience.
Listen in as father and daughter discuss what makes TuffSkin the only product of its kind. They also talk about the unique properties of marble and what customers should know when caring for their marble tables.
Frank and Katie also speak on the dynamic of running a family business, how they stay resilient and open to growth even (and especially) after experiencing failures and setbacks, and how they have managed to instill passion for the TuffSkin brand among their entire team.
- The story of TuffSkin
- How TuffSkin works
- Marble versus granite versus quartz
- How often you will need to reapply TuffSkin
- Limitations to note when using TuffSkin
- Expanding internationally
- How Frank feels about TuffSkin’s massive success
- Running a family business
- Katie’s professional life before TuffSkin
- The future of TuffSkin
- Why companies should not be afraid of competition
- Why passion for your brand among the whole team is so important
Connect with Guest
Key Quotes from Episode
- What we’ve done is create a completely non-porous surface. Nothing can touch the stone. Nothing can soak through the film: It’s liquid-impermeable. –Katie
- Anybody who uses marble and wants to keep it looking nice uses TuffSkin. –Frank
- I don’t think you should be afraid of competition because it just invites me to think more out-of-the-box and to collaborate. Competition breeds better products. –Katie
Connect with the industry’s best tradespeople in your area.